RIP Rose Louise Carter

October 21, 2007 – August 7, 2020

My sweet Rosie went over the Rainbow Bridge on August 7, 2020. This sweet basset hound came into my life in the spring of 2012 courtesy of the Arizona Basset Hound Rescue. When I first laid eyes on her and trotted up my front walkway, I knew she was my dog.

Rosie was such a smart dog. In Carter Law Firm’s infancy, I worked out of the house and had a mailbox at the UPS Store. When Rosie and I would pick up my mail, she’d walk around the counter and sit for a dog treat. Then she’d help herself to another one from the box. There was one time when Mom was visiting, and she made a cheesecake which she left on the dining room table. A little while later, we noticed a bite taken out of the cake and Rosie was quietly laying on her bed smacking her lips. Even at nearly five-feet long and 60 pounds, Rosie could be stealthy when she wanted.

Basset hounds are notorious for being stubborn, and Rosie was no exception. She regularly went “flat basset” while we were crossing the street. When she was on a scent, nothing could pull her off it. On more than one occasion, she got soaked at the park because she followed a scent right into the sprinklers. Speaking of the park, it was so much fun to watch her run with a group of dogs – well, the other dogs would be running as a group, and she’d be chasing after them, fast as her little lets could carry her.

Everyone loved Rosie. She had the best set of human friends and dog friends, and we had puppy playdates nearly every day. I loved when her godfather would come over because of how much she would bark with joy.

Rosie went nearly everywhere with me. I even registered her as an emotional support animal. Whenever we’d go out for a meal, I’d always order something for her along with a meal for myself. When the partners at my current firm announced that they wanted me to join, I responded, “Great. I come with a dog.” We had to have a third interview where I brought her in so they could see she was going to be a non-issue, particularly with a baby gate across my door. Technically, she was only supposed to come in once a week, but no one batted an eye when I brought her in more often.

There were a handful of times I had to go out of town without her, and I had to leave her at the kennel, aka “Camp.” While she was there, I ordered extra bedding and playtime for her. I’d call and check on her each day, even though the report was always, “She’s fine. Everyone adores her. She sleeps a lot.” The best part of taking her to Camp was when I got to pick her up again. She barked like crazy coming through the lobby door, said a quick hello to me, before pulling me towards the exit.

In 2015, Rosie lost her eye to glaucoma, and the vet said it would only be a matter of time before she lost her other eye. Our schedule became regulated by her medication as she was put on a regimen of eye drops to try to sustain her sight as long as possible. Knowing that there was limited time, I wanted Rosie to see as much as she could for as long as she could. We took a long weekend trip to Long Beach, CA so she could experience the beach and the ocean at Rosie’s Dog Beach, an off-leash dog beach named after an English Bulldog. Not a fan of the water, she loved plodding along on the sand, and several times she plopped herself down on someone else’s blanket and looked up at them as if you say, “You shall pet me now.”

As the years progressed, Rosie began to slow down. She wasn’t interested in walking as far as arthritis began affecting her hips and knees. Sometimes she just wanted to walk two feet out the front door and lay down on the cool cement. She began sleeping more. Then, in 2018, Rosie lost her second eye to glaucoma. Her world went dark and I became her seeing eye human. Even though she couldn’t see, she would still wag her tail in happiness when she smelled a familiar person or pup.

As she continued to age, Rosie developed canine cognitive dysfunction (CCD) aka doggy dementia. Sometimes she would pace or pant as if she were lost in her own home, and she developed sundowners where she’d flip night and day. She had CBD to manage her anxiety during the day, and our vet prescribed trazadone to help her sleep through the night, which was a godsend. Rosie spent most of her days laying next to me as I worked at my desk and laying next to the front door when I went out.

During the last few weeks of Rosie’s life, I knew her time was short. I arranged for Rosie to be Miss January in the Arizona Basset Hound Rescue’s 2021 calendar, even though I knew she wouldn’t live long enough to see the new year. The photographer was so sweet, following Rosie around, getting shots when she could because older blind dogs do not pose for pictures. Then she invited me to jump in for a few shots. I’m so glad she got a few final shots of me smiling with my baby girl.

Rosie died at home on Friday, August 7, 2020 with the help of a mobile vet. It was one the hardest decisions I ever had to make. I stayed at her side until she took her last breath, hoping she knew, for every moment she was my dog, that she was loved.

1. Tina Collett says:

So very sorry for your loss, she was so lucky to have u as a mama. Sending love & hugs.

2. Vicki Kerns says:

I am so very sorry for your loss. I have 2 Bassets, ages 10 & 12. My older girl has CCD, early stage. I never even knew there was such a thing. Bassets are the most wonderful & loving babies. I know your Rosie knew just how very much she was loved & cared for. Thank you for giving her a wonderful home & life. May God bring healing to your heart.

3. Vanessa Moreno Smith says:

What a beautiful memorial of your precious baby. Basset-hounds are special, She will forever be in your heart. Fly high sweet girl ❤️

4. Janice Lambrix says:

Oh such a wonderful Read and a wonderful life you gave her. She now can see and run free of pain. She gave you a life you probably never would of had if you had not taken her in. Your life sure was full of love and beyond measure. She was the pup that took your whole heart. God has given you peace. I can tell in your Obituary

5. Cassie Tucker says:

Ruth, what a beautiful tribute! Your face in that picture says it all . ((Hugs)). Cassie

6. Joan says:

Your story brought me to tears..you were blessed to have each other..

7. Karen says:

This is so beautiful! I’m so very sorry for your loss. It’s so heartbreaking that our furry ones cannot be with us longer. My heart breaks for you and I am sending prayers. Thank you for sharing your beautiful memories.

8. Ava Watkins says:

Such a beautiful tribute straight from your heart. I feel like I knew her and I loved her even though we never met. My Molli developed the Sundowners and dementia in her later couple of years also. She passed in April of this spring at age 14.

9. Jane Bowlin says:

Such a beautiful, sweet tribute to your Adtable Rosie.
    Clearly, she was one well loved fur daughter.

10. Debra Fox says:

My heartfelt condolences to you in the passing of your beloved Rosie. She was a little Beauty! Your story is one more lovely example of the mysterious way Basset Hounds capture our hearts so fully. My soul mate, Romeo, got Mast Cell Cancer and was only given 1-2 weeks to live. With great love, prayer, and chemo, he lived 16 months! Though he’s been gone 17 years, I’ve never lost that special place in my heart for that wonderful endearing little personality that stole my heart and returned to walk his familiar trod across my stairs months after he departed. I never saw him, but we heard him very clearly and saw his muddy basset paw print on my clean carpet after returning from vacation. He always knew how to communicate in life and in death he proved that they truly do live forever!

11. Diane says:

I’m so sorry Ruth I know exactly how you feel❤️ I still miss Princess every day. You were an awesome mom to Rosie.

12. Elsa Trujillo says:

Oh Ruth, such a beautiful tribute to your sweet,dear Rosie. Although I never had the pleasure of meeting her, I felt as if I knew her. I loved your posts about her and all your adventures. She was so lucky to have you as her human. Hugs my friend.

13. Bunny says:

So sorry for your loss. We lost our Mickey boy on June 6 2019 to CHF. I will never forget him. I still talk to him every night and we share a glass of wine. We still have our Mollie, who is now 13 years old (both Mickey and Mollie were rescues). We have tried to rescue another Basset, but we just have not been able to seem to find the right fit. So we have a deposit on a puppy from @Clearview Acres Basset Hounds for a puppy that will be born early in 2021. I can’t wait. I sooo need puppy breath. Sending you love and healing blessings.

14. Sarah Malowicki says:

So very sorry Ruth. I have no words, but a lot of love for you!

15. sheilah says:

Beautiful tribute. She was well loved…

16. Patti says:

What a beautiful tribute! You loved your basset so much. Bassets grab ahold of your heart and never let go. I am on my 8th basset right now, and I love them so much. I have loved all of my bassets. Each had their own personality. My boy that I have now helped me survive the death of my precious husband. I know that all of my babies are in heaven with my husband! God bless you and give you comfort!

17. Christine says:

What a lucky dog Rosie was to have you as her human. I’m so sorry you have lost your treasured friend.

18. RJ Dustin says:

Beautifully written. You were a good mom, Rosie knows she was loved. She is up in rainbow bridge waiting your arrival. Thoughts and prayers your way, all the way from Vermont.

19. What a great tribute. Made me cry. She knew every moment that she was special, thanks to you and your care. Hugs to you for being a great dogmom.