Boycotting the 2014 Sochi Olympics & its Sponsors – Who’s Not Getting my Business

A few months ago I shared my outrage about the International Olympic Committee’s blatant (and cowardly) refusal to oppose Russia’s anti-gay laws and how none of the sponsors have spoken out against the bigoted laws. I love the Olympics but I’m boycotting the Games, so for the duration of the Sochi Winter Olympics and the Paralympics, I will not spend money on the Olympic  sponsors’ products whenever possible.

Here’s who won’t be getting my business during the Games:

Olympic Rings Vancouver by adrian8_8 from Flickr (Creative Commons License)

Olympic Rings Vancouver by adrian8_8 from Flickr (Creative Commons License)

Proctor & Gamble
This includes Olay moisturizer, Cover Girl cosmetics, Ivory soap, Pantene shampoo, Tampax tampons, Bounty paper towels, Charmin toilet paper, Mr. Clean magic eraser, Dawn dish soap, Cascade dishwasher soap, Tide laundry soap, Bounce dryer sheets, Febreze, Swiffer cloths, Duracell batteries, Venus razor blades, Oral-B toothbrushes, and Vicks Nyquil.

Coca-Cola
This includes Diet Coke, Coke Zero, Dasani water, Evian water, Fresca, Dr. Pepper, Powerade, Sprite, Monster Energy drinks, and Odwalla juice.

Samsung

Panasonic

McDonald’s

GE

Omega

Dow

Atos

Visa
This will be the hardest one because I use my credit card for almost every purchase. I’ll have to switch to cash unless it’s a situation where I have to use my card.

If any of these products are already in my home, using them is fair game. They’ve already gotten my money so not using them when they’ve already made their profit off me doesn’t hurt them. They just won’t be getting any new business from me during the Games.

I’m an advocate of putting your money where your mouth is. If you don’t approve of what a company is doing, don’t give them your business. Any of the above companies can redeem themselves and get off my shit list by openly opposing Russia’s anti-gay laws and/or plastering their ads at the Sochi Olympic Games with rainbows and same-sex couples.

1. Corey says:

Dr Pepper is it’s own separate entity (Technically Dr Pepper Snapple Group Inc.). It’s not affiliated with Coca Cola. Thankfully =)

It’s listed on their site so that’s too close for me.

2. Lyn says:

Not everything is about sex. Don’t you think these companies aren’t thinking about sexual preference, but just about supporting people (Americans) as a whole? This was my reaction, versus feeling mad or boycotting. Just my take :)

I agree. This is also about love, civil rights, equality, and protecting children from being ripped away from their families just because their parents are gay. It’s about sending our athletes and delegates to a country where they could be arrested or attacked just because of who they’re attracted to. It’s about supporting all people. Staying silent on this issue suggests support or at least it conveys the message that they don’t care about this issue.

3. Lyn says:

Good points!

4. Brian says:

Hey Ruth,

While I understand where you’re coming from, I feel that boycotting the companies that are broadcasting the Olympics are punishing those companies who are actually (for the most part) are supporting gay rights. They are broadcasting Americans and people from all participating countries REGARDLESS of sexual orientation as equals. In fact, I believe that the past efforts of LGBT athletes have been a huge part of the change of heart (at least here in America). Also, the story of Russia’s law has been the LEAD story for much of the pre-Olympic coverage. If Russia had made that law and not had the Olympics, do you think we’d be hearing as much about it now?

I know, it’s a hard line to figure when it comes to boycotts. I have some that I have boycotted in the past (and currently) that I constantly bring up for review.

Peace

I appreciate your perspective. I hope all the attention Russia’s received about its anti-gay laws will motivate the government to change it and acknowledge LGBT people and families as equals. I can understand why a sponsor wouldn’t pull out of the Games but I wish they would be more vocal about their support for the LBGT community.

5. Michael says:

Sounds like quite a challenge. Thank God the games don’t last months!

I agree! But it’s a challenge worth taking on.