It’s been an incredible year! Looking back, so much has changed and so many wonderful things have happened for me this year – personally and professionally. I never could have predicted so many good things happening. Of course, I didn’t get here alone and I want to thank all the friends, family, and colleagues who helped make this year fan-fucking-tastic. It was hard to pick the top five events from this year, but here you go!
1. Carter Law Firm Opened! I opened my own law practice on January 4, 2012 and I’m happy to report that I’m still in business and haven’t been disbarred. It’s been an amazing year creating and building my own business with all the trials and tribulations that go along with that. I love my work and I’m so lucky that I get to build the professional life I’ve always wanted as the approachable geeky lawyer who wears t-shirts and does awesome work. I love that I’m building my niches in social media and flash mob law and being invited to do things like speak at major conferences.
2. My First Book I wrote and self-published The Legal Side of Blogging: How Not to get Sued, Fired, Arrested, or Killed. I’ve always wanted to write a book and all the pieces fell into place to make it happen. The book has been well received so far and appears to be opening the door for more books. Special hat tip to ePublish Unum for teaching me everything I know about self-publishing.
3. ABA Legal Rebel I’ve always looked up to the American Bar Association Legal Rebels, but in my wildest dreams I did not expect to be picked to join this illustrious group only months after becoming a lawyer. I’m tickled that they chose me because of my work in flash mob law.
4. I Got A Dog! Adopting Rosie from the Arizona Basset Hound Rescue was probably the biggest life changing event of this year. It had been years since I had a pet and because of her we go walking every day and I’m on a more structured schedule. She can melt my heart with one look and it was so hard to leave her at the kennel for a few days. I love the way she looks when she runs and how she howls at the phone.
5. Half Marathon Personal Record This may seem petty, but it was a big deal to me to finish the race under two hours. I was blown away when I heard I finished the race in 1:52. I’d never run that hard for so long before. It was a great experience to do so well.
Celebrity Encounters in 2012
- Sci-fi author Scott Sigler
- Sex columnist and podcaster Dan Savage – ok we exchanged emails but that’s good enough for me
- Actor Ben Stein
- Actor and podcaster Michael Ian Black
- Author Tyler Coulson – left his big-firm lawyer job to walk across the country with his dog
- Legal author and podcaster Bob Ambrogi
- Phoenix First Lady Nicole Stanton
Firsts in 2012
- 1st trip to Chicago where I leave the airport – included my 1st ride on the L Train and my 1st visit to Cloud Gate (The Bean)
- 1st trip to the Electronic Frontier Foundation
- Bought my 1st Powerball ticket
- 1st time using Survey Monkey and Mail Chimp
- 1st time at Phoenix Comicon
- 1st time owning a pet that wasn’t formerly a family pet
- 1st business trip to San Francisco
- Sent my 1st DMCA Takedown Notice
- Put up my 1st yarn bomb
- 1st trip to the ABA TechShow
- 1st YouTube channel
- Peg Grucky
- David Malcolm
This has been an incredible year. I’m excited for what’s to come next!