Three Questions of Communication

A few years ago I learned the best lesson for effective communication.  I don’t know who taught me this technique, but I am immensely grateful to them.  I learned that before I open my mouth, I have to ask three questions about what I want to say.

1. Is it true?
  2. Is it necessary?
  3. Is it kind?

If the answer to all three questions is “Yes,” then I can say it.  If not, I have to keep my mouth shut until I figure out a better way to phrase my thoughts.

I had a job once where I often had to remind myself that it was inappropriate to tell people that they were morons.  Here’s how the questions tended to play out in my head:

1. Is it true?  Yes!
  2. Is it necessary?  I think so.
  3. Is it kind?  <crickets>

And back to the drawing board I went until I could find a kind way to say what I thought I needed to say.  This approach keeps me out of trouble, especially when I have strong opinions.  It keeps my mouth shut long enough for my brain to catch up with my emotions and determine the proper way to express my ideas.

1. John says:

While letting someone know they are a moron may not be kind, you could never be called an enabler. Just another thought 🙂

Very true, however, most people don’t respond well to being called a moron. A gentle suggestion or correction tends to be better received and ultimately may be a more effective way to convince a person to remove their cranium from their derrière.

2. Nelson says:

But Ruth, isn’t honesty kind?

I think it depends on the way in which you express your honesty.

2. Patrick says:

Of course honesty is kind… it’s brutal honesty that’s the kicker!

Exactly! I’ve notice people tend not to listen or take my suggestions when I start the conversation by insulting them.

3. […] being decent and being a dick (because the real ones will never read this post), here’s a handy three-question test that will help you decide when you should say something … and when you should shut […]

4. David says:

Your Questions remind me of the Rotary Four Way Test:

The 4-Way Test considers the following questions in respect to thinking, saying or doing:

Is it the truth?
    Is it fair to all concerned?
    Will it build goodwill and better friendships?
    Will it be beneficial to all concerned?

Thanks for sharing that David. The question about being beneficial is an excellent thing to consider before one open’s their mouth. I think if everyone thought about that before speaking, we’d have a lot less gossip.